Friday, 6 June 2014

My first quilt

I checked off making a quilt from my 'sewing bucket list' yesterday and I think it turned out reasonably ok considering it was my first attempt. I battled with it for a few hours trying to quilt it and attach the binding and eventually (after a few fixie-uppies) I was victorious.
There was a request in Bee Blessed for 2 boys' quilts, and this wonky cross quilt is the first.
To keep things simple (because often simple = easier) I quilted vertical lines then machine stitched the binding and added a little Bee Blessed label. I know some people enjoy hand stitching the binding but I just don't seem to have the patience for hand sewing unfortunately.

Even though I've only been taking part in Bee Blessed for a short time I absolutely love it! Knowing that what we're doing will eventually hopefully make some people a little happier is one of the best feelings ever! I honestly feel so lucky to be able to contribute to Bee Blessed and it just makes me smile to think that both the receivers and the givers can be blessed :)

After photographing the quilt I decided to just play about with my camera in the garden as it is looking very pretty at the moment thanks to mum's hard work.
Here are some pictures that I took:
Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy your weekend!
-Shannon xo

13 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous! What an incredible quilt! I can't believe it's your first. Well done, S. It will make someone very happy.
    Your mom's doing a great job with the flowers! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beauty, well done on your first quilt. I do make the individual blocks for bee blessed but not up to making them a full quilt. Wow your quilting is great, I cannot seem to manage the quilting part, must practise more! Garden photos are very good and so clear

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic quilt, I am yet to make one and am in awe of this being your first! I also love those photos, my brother is trying to convince me that I need an SLR camera, did you use one? A lovely new blog to read x

    ReplyDelete
  4. well done with the quilt, it looks brilliant and a little boy will be very glad of it.
    the garden is looking well, our poppies are still in bud on the other side of the lough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a brilliant quilt, well done. Love the close up ladybird pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really lovely job on the quilt Shannon :-) I think lots of us like hand stitching cos it means we get to veg out on the sofa watching telly and dont have to feel guilty about "not doing anything".... lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shannon! Your quilt is beautiful! What a great, fun pattern and happy colours! Gorgeus photos from your garden! Greetings from Greece! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just amazing, especially for a first quilt. I love doing the binding but not the quilting, we all have different favourite bits. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilt looks fantastic Shannon, well done! And do t worry about machine stitching he binding, it will hold up to all the love the new owner will give it! Some great pics there too! Your mum definitely works hard that's for sure! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant quilt and lovely pics xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you re: B.B. Its a great feeling. Th garden looks great.

    ReplyDelete